
During term 3 this year I had an opportunity to work with 2 groups of students on a foundation programme called ' Quick 60'. Some information about the programme can be found on the following link.
Each lesson is explicit and contains the following seven components:
- Quick Quiz- this is where fluency is built with isolated spelling and reading words.
- New High- Frequency word- a new high frequency word is introduced.
- Quick Read- Building fluency, vocabulary and comprehension skills using a connected text.
- Quick check- oral reading monitored as well as checking on vocabulary and comprehension.
- Quick Write- Building spelling and writing strategies.
- New Skill- explicit teaching of new phonic skills.
- New Book- instruction with vocabulary, comprehension strategies and practice of new phonic skills relating to connected text.
I spent sometime during the holidays familiarising myself with the programme and the reading material. I was also fortunate to be able to observe someone who was already experienced working with the programme and two of the already established groups from our school. The students I observed were those I also got to work with. This was a great transition into the programme for the students and myself. After I had worked through the programme for 5 weeks, I was able to test the students and the results indicated that the students involved had made pleasing progress with alphabet identification, alphabet sounds, recognition of high frequency words and had gained depth in their reading comprehension strategies.
I have since tested and established another couple of groups and am currently working with these students. The programme is effortless to work with, the stories are interesting and targeted well to support reading levels. I am excited about working with these new groups of students and the engagement in the programme.
Reading the testimonials of other teachers here, reinforces my excitement.
No comments:
Post a Comment