I have been giving some thought recently to expectations. Expectations that children have of themselves; that we as educators have of the children we teach; that parents have of their children and that parents have of those working with their children.
It is apparent that there are conflicting expectations and there is a need for discussions so we can develop consistency with standards or even just so we can expect more.
Many of the reflections I have read from children express that in our team we have set too much work for children to complete, while conflicting with this just as many children state that we haven't set enough.I love that the children in our team set weekly goals and reflect on these. I believe these focused prompts have aided in lifting some standards. I also believe that we need to set standards high so we can aim to achieve more than what we think we are capable of....and we need to guide children to change their mindset in relation to their expectations!
It's great that students are setting goals and reflecting on them - and that you are reading them and reflecting on them. We want to work towards the students having high expectations of themselves. Awesome.
ReplyDelete