Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Restorative Justice Professional Development


Our staff was taken through the basics of Restorative Justice and some examples of how this will become embedded in our culture at St Francis. Putting relationships at the heart of interactions within the school community, especially in the event of conflict, seems to be a worthwhile focus.


Reflect-Repair-Reconnect: Is a key focus of the overall path of restorative practice.
Starting with the assumed ‘wrong doer’ and enabling each student involved to tell their story....and for the person leading the chats to remain curious, gentle and relentless while avoiding blame.


I have seen children return from a restorative chat, with an experienced facilitator, displaying relaxed shoulders and smiles, appearing able to get on with daily work while looking released of what may otherwise have been built up anger. I have also fumbled through a few attempts, without training or previous experience . From these experiences I have witnessed positive outcomes….although I have been left with the feeling of “ have I done all that was required? ” or “ did I do it properly?”

I was fortunate to be on release this week during a time that an incident occurred requiring a restorative chat. Two children were taken through steps of a restorative chat with the principal and the deputy principal and I was present as the ‘note taker’.This experience was the most valuable for me as I was able to witness exactly how this chat was unpacked. What I noticed was the calm manner in which students were questioned and the persistence that was required to eventually achieve an outcome or resolution.

I see the value of building these practices into our school culture in order to teach children how to be responsible for their actions. The challenges I foresee is the time taken to implement restorative chats, along with the expertise of those leading the chats ....avoiding use of the question "Why?" Instead focusing on asking "What was going through your head?"

Taking time to implement chats, to reflect and use the useful questions as a guide as well as supporting colleagues on this journey will assist in creating a cohesive culture with shared values.

No comments:

Post a Comment