for example: W.A.L.T: use rounding and compensating to solve addition problems.
It was a suggestion from a colleague that I change my focus to a question instead of a statement.
An example of a different approach is:
How can I use what I know about rounding and compensation to help me solve addition problems.
or
How can interesting sentence starters make my work more exciting.
or
How can I link letters to increase my fluency.
I have made efforts to change this language, which although it seems simple has been a bit of a process. We are often so comfortable in what we originally have practiced that even a slight change can take some focus and practice. The interesting result of this however is the children seem to be better equipped with vocabulary to explain exactly what it is they are doing and more importantly why they are doing what they are doing. This has a dual effect as it has also aided in improved vocabulary when students reflect on their learning and individual progress.
I decided to have a look at information on the internet about the language of WALT and came across some information in the guardian (26th December 2015) entitled Secret Teacher: WALT, WILF, EBI – stating that "we're awash with useless acronyms" and expressing that:
"These innocuous-looking letters hinder good teachers, and the less conscientious totally ignore them".The point expressed in the article suggested that this gifted teacher had already explained to the children why they were watching a particular film and fully intended to sum up at the end to check they had grasped everything. The article also suggested that good teachers, trained properly, do not need WALT or WILF for their students to do well. Interestingly the article advocated children will still learn less in badly taught lessons whether WALT and WILF are present or not!
It is important that good practice is embedded in teacher training colleges and that this is reinforced by schools. We should always focus on good practice as... Good practice underpins effective teaching.
Great reflection on your practice Melissa. It is great that you have noticed they posing questions have made the children more self aware. You are so right in your comments that best practice is what makes the difference to children's outcomes, not acronyms.
ReplyDeleteI love your emphasis on "Good practice underpins effective teaching" Melissa. It is as Hattie points out in his effect sizes; it is the quality of teaching that matters, not the class size. I agree that posing Learning Intentions as questions enables children to understand the learning process better. It gives them greater agency. I am glad that you have made the change. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete